- 100g/3½oz unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 100g/3½oz caster sugar
- 1 free-range egg, lightly beaten
- 275g/10oz plain flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pre heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Mix the flour and sugar together in a bowl, then rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg and vanilla essence and mix to form a soft dough.
- Roll out onto a well-floured work surface and cut into rounds. Place on greased baking sheets and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown.
Add your own topping and butter cream. Feel free to make changes in the recipe.